Hanway Compact Mens Umbrella
Our handmade compact mens umbrella has a beautiful solid maple handle, 10 ribs for extra strength and a full sized canopy to keep you dry. It retracts to be small enough to be easy to carry and is stored in it's own matching sheath.
The Hanway Compact mens umbrella is fitted with a lightweight black canopy and all the features you'd have found on products our crafters were making over 100 years ago, including an inside cap and a mother of pearl furling button.
These features are crafted in contrasting white to add a contemporary twist to this centuries old design.
It is named after the famous philanthropist Dr Jonas Hanway, who introduced the umbrella to England in 1750 having seen them on his travels to Portugal.
He endured 30 years of ridicule carrying his umbrella around London until his persistence finally won over a skeptical public. Dr Hanway went on to found the Marine Society and Magdalen Hospital and is commemorated by a memorial in Westminster Abbey.
- Handle: Sustainably sourced polished Italian Maplewood (Acer opalus)
- Frame and shaft: 10 rib Grade A Steel frame and steel shaft
- Canopy: Finest 2oz polyester with an overall diameter of 103.5cm / 40 inches
- Stitching: 25 tex waterproofed polyester thread
- Furling button: Engraved 20 ligne natural mother of pearl shell button
- Cap: Traditional inside cap made from same high quality canopy material
- Outer case: Matching outer case made from canopy material with contrast stitching
- Length: Overall length from top of crook curve to tip of umbrella is 45cm / 18 inches
- Weight: 490g / 17.3oz
- UK shipping: Please allow 5 working days for us to make and deliver this item within the UK
- International shipping: Please allow 10 working days for us to make and deliver this item internationally
Our standard returns policy applies for this product.
For full details, please see our returns policies here.